Church of St. John the Baptist
Ribčev Laz is an idyllic village in the area of the Triglav National Park that is situated on the eastern shore of the lake. There are many events lined up throughout the year, and the village represents the centre of goings-on in Bohinj. At the very centre are the Church of St John the Baptist and the monument to four courageous men: the first explorers of the highest Slovenian mountain. Besides the lake, there is the statue of the mighty Zlatorog demonstrating the fairy tale and mystical magic of the land. A unique feature of the village is a rock wall perforated by shellfish. Here you can focus on culture, history, numerous sports activities or just take a boat ride – even in the evening hours.
The over 700 years old church is one of the most beautiful examples of the Middle Age architecture and fresco painting in Slovenia.
THE CHURCH OF ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST IS A MUST-SEE SIGHT – WHY?
- Some of the oldest frescoes in Slovenia are found in the church and in front of it.
- In stylistic terms, the church covers time periods from Romanticism to Baroque.
- It represents an important cultural and historical monument and is a listed building.
- The Church of St. John the Baptist is thought to have been built as early as pre 1300.
- The church is located on a rich historical site – archaeological finds, dating from the 1st to the 5th century, have been discovered next to the church.
- Additional information: www.janez-krstnik-bohinj.si